Lake D. Steffee
Jan 7, 1893 – March 22, 1960
In 1914, Lake D. Steffee entered the employment of R.G. Koch, local mortician and furniture dealer. In 1924, Mr. Steffee purchased Mr. Koch's "undertaking business" and began operation of the Steffee Funeral Home at 110 Petroleum Street, Oil City, PA. The Steffee Funeral Home was the first in this area. In May of 1957, Mr. Steffee sold his business to his nephew, Charles A. Morrison.
Lake D. Steffee was a funeral director for 35 years. He graduated from the Eckels School of Embalming in Philadelphia. After his discharge from the Army in World War I, Mr. Steffee returned to work for Mr. Koch and later purchased the business. He was prominent in the Masonic Order, in which he was affiliated with Oil City Lodge, No. 710, Free and Accepted masons; Oil City Chapter, No. 263, Royal Arch masons; Talbot Commandry No. 43, of which he was Past Commander; the higher Scottish Rite bodies, including Oil City Lodge of Perfection and Pittsburgh Consistory; Zem Zem Temple, at Erie, PA, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; and the Royal Order of Jesters of Erie.
Mr. Steffee was also affiliated with Oil City Lodge, No. 589, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In addition to these connections, he was a member of the Oil City Chamber of Commerce, Young Men's Christian Association, the Pennsylvania Undertakers' Association and the local Eagles, Elks and Moose Clubs and the Oil City Club of which he was a charter member.
Mr. Steffee also served as a director for the Venango County Tuberculosis Society for a number of years. He also was active in the local Red Cross Chapter and was known never to decline his services to that organization.
On January 14, 1956, The Exchange Club paid a tribute to Mr. Steffee as one of the city's outstanding citizens.
Charles A. Morrison
Oct 10, 1921 – Sept 23, 1987
Charles A. Morrison graduated in 1939 from Cranberry High School and then attended Grove City College for two years before entering military service. He became associated with the Steffee Funeral Home in 1941 and worked there with the exception of the three and a half years he served with the military. During WW II, he served in the US Army Air Corps where he was a navigator aboard a B-29 in the Pacific Theater being discharged with the rank of Captain. Upon his return from service, Mr. Morrison enrolled at the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science and was graduated with highest honors in 1948, returning to work at the Steffee Funeral Home. It was in May 1957, when he purchased the funeral home from his uncle and changed the name to Morrison Funeral Home.
In 1963, the Morrison Funeral Home was accepted into the fellowship of the Order of the Golden Rule, an international organization of funeral directors.
Mr. Morrison attended many postgraduate courses and seminars for licensed funeral directors across the country. He was a member and past secretary-treasurer of the Venango County Funeral Directors Association, was a member and past district governor of the Pennsylvania Funeral Directors Association and was a member of the National Funeral Directors Association.
A particular honor was accorded to Mr. Morrison in 1983 when he was presented the Golden Deed Award. The award, given by the Oil City Area Chamber of Commerce and the Exchange Club of Oil City, recognized the time and effort he donated for the betterment of the community. This was the same award which his uncle, Lake D. Steffee, was awarded with in 1956.
Mr. Morrison was a member and Elder of the Second Presbyterian Church.
He also was a member and past president of the Oil City Rotary Club and held memberships in the American Legion Post, the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the BPO Elks of Oil City.
Mr. Morrison was affiliated with many Masonic organizations, including Oil City Lodge No. 710 F&AM, the Venango Lodge of Perfection, New Castle Consistory, Oil City Royal Arch Chapter, Talbot Commandry, the Zem Zem Shirne and Acacia Grotto.
He was a member and past director of both the Oil City Club and the Franklin Club, and he was a member of Wanango Country Club and The 100 Club.
Mr. Morrison was a trustee at Polk Center, a past director of the Oil City Chapter of the American Red Cross, a member of the advisory board for Mellon Bank (North), a past director and president of the Oil City YMCA board of directors, and a member of the Foundation Board and Professional Advisory Committee for the Visiting Nurses Association of Venango County.
He was a past director of the Oil City Area Chamber of Commerce, and was a member of the Town Club of Jamestown, NY. He also had been a member of the advisory boards for the Oil City Economic Development Corp. and the Oil City Hospital, and he had been a director for United Way.
Mr. Morrison also was instrumental in providing an eye enucleation program in Oil City, in cooperation with the Lions Club.
Morrison Funeral Home, Inc.
Phone: (814) 677-4000 | Fax: (814) 676-6526
110 Petroleum Street, Oil City, PA 16301
© Morrison Funeral Home, Inc.
Your browser may not work with certain site. Upgrade now.